Post-Exhaustion-phase "punishment" for early adopters

R. Benjamin Kessler Ben.Kessler at zenetra.com
Wed Feb 9 02:43:28 UTC 2011

>>From: George Herbert [mailto:george.herbert at gmail.com]

>>"Let's just grab 2/8, it's not routed on the Internet..."

+1

I was consulting for a financial services firm in the late '90s that was acquired by a large east-coast bank; the bank's brilliant scheme was to renumber all new acquisitions *out* of RFC1918 space and into (at the time) bogon space.

If I recall, some of the arguments were "they were too big to fit into RFC1918 space" and by having all of their divisions in non-RFC1918 space it would make it easier for them to acquire new companies who used RFC1918 space internally.

I wonder what they're doing now...