Post-Exhaustion-phase "punishment" for early adopters

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 23:49:09 UTC 2011

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 3:08 PM,  <Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Feb 2011 14:59:12 PST, George Herbert said:
>
>> It's easy to say "Well, foo on them", but for those of us who provide
>> services or consulting to those who failed to follow the directions,
>> we still have to deal with it.
>
> Just remember that if they *had* followed the directions, your
> billable hours would drop...

I had intended a snappy response including mention of ponies, however,
while I was considering whether it was list-appropriate or not a
coworker emailed me in response to this thread and reminded me of the
mutual former client who grabbed 2/8 a few years ago and used it
extensively internally.

"Let's just grab 2/8, it's not routed on the Internet..."

Whose actual perpetrator was allegedly another NANOGer, so it wasn't
even brute ignorance (I am not sure it was them, so if not my
apologies).

In slight defense, this was to handle problems with extensive
conflicts where this company and a number of telcos were having
widespread 10/8 1918 space collisions and had no good solutions to it
(apparently, the telcos failed to read 1918 closely enough and
consider that any partner might ever need to route to their internal
allocations).

Thank you, anonymous coworker, for reminding me how glad I am that A)
I'm not there at that client anymore, B) That it's turning that net
off this year.

*twitch* *twitch*

-george

--