My upstream ISP does not support IPv6

Blake Hudson blake at ispn.net
Mon Feb 7 22:52:14 UTC 2011

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: My upstream ISP does not support IPv6
From: Franck Martin <franck at genius.com>
To: nanog at nanog.org
Date: Thursday, February 03, 2011 9:04:14 PM
> The biggest complaint that I hear from ISPs, is that their upstream ISP does not support IPv6 or will not provide them with a native IPv6 circuit.
>
> Is that bull?
>
> I thought the whole backbone is IPv6 now, and it is only the residential ISPs that are still figuring it out because CPE are still not there yet.
>
> Where can I get more information? Any list of peering ISPs that have IPv6 as part of their products?
>
> It seems to me the typical answer sales people say when asked about IPv6: "Gosh, this is the first time I'm asked this one".

We've been checking with our two regional upstreams and the answer seems
to vary between 'not yet...', 'testing...', 'we're planning...' etc.
I've been checking with my technical contacts, vs sales people. Perhaps
if there was a drive from the sales perspective I could get more
traction - money talks.

In the mean time, we've setup a tunnel with HE. At least our network
will be tested and ready to go whenever native transit is available.

--Blake