Failure modes: NAT vs SPI

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Mon Feb 7 16:52:57 UTC 2011

On 2/7/2011 10:43 AM, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> For what it's worth, I've never seen an IPv6 scan cause a problem for our
> network.  Not saying that such a scan*wouldn't*  cause a problem, but the fact
> we've been doing it for over a decade and not seen a big problem seems to go
> counter to "everyone who turns on IPv6 gets hit by it".

I think it becomes a problem only in certain architectures. ie,
providing /64 subnets without SPI can lead to a scan actually able to
create effect ND.

This implies that many networks aren't necessarily effected by it, as
they implement a certain level of security.

I'd also surmise that IPv6 scanning isn't as prevalent today as it will
be at some point. Nachi was an interesting (even if illegal) concept
except for being overly aggressive.

Jack