Seeking IPv6 services (was: Random Port Blocking at Hotels)

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Sun Feb 6 19:13:13 UTC 2011

On Feb 5, 2011, at 9:06 PM, John R. Levine wrote:
> Sure.  Bet you ten bucks that no hotel in North America offers IPv6 this year in the wifi they provide to customers.  (Conference networks don't count.)

That could easily be the case this year...

However, it's not going to stay that way for long, particularly if
corporate buyers specify IPv6 in their RFPs for hotel room blocks.
As of January 1st, 2012, ARIN considers IPv4 and IPv6 both necessary
for something to be "available via the Internet" per our procurement
policy, and we're in the process of informing our service providers
(including such things as hotels, payroll and benefit services with
web portals, vendors with online support, etc) of that requirement.

Note - we're not going to let lack of IPv6 in hotel rooms prevent us
from holding a Public Policy Meeting, but making it clear that we'll
prefer compliant vendors if there's a viable choice has a real effect
on getting attention to the requirement by those in charge.

I'm certain that others folks out there also buy things, but I'm only
in charge of ARIN.

FWIW,
/John

John Curran