quietly....

Roland Perry lists at internetpolicyagency.com
Sun Feb 6 17:45:46 UTC 2011

In article <85D304BA-6C4E-4B86-9717-2ADB542B8606 at delong.com>, Owen
DeLong <owen at delong.com> writes

>> Part of the problem is knowing in advance what ISPs will and won't
>>do. It's all very well saying one shouldn't patronise an ISP that
>>blocks port 25, for example, but where is that documented before you buy?
>>
>If they don't document partial internet access blockage in the contract
>and the contract says they are providing internet access, then, they
>are in breach and you are free to depart without a termination fee and
>in most cases, demand a refund for service to date.

You may be right about enforcing that in the USA (is it an FCC thing?),
but it won't fly in most other places.

>Admittedly, I'm not over-fussed about email on my phone and I don't use
>a tether device at this point.

The 3G I'm discussing is a dongle intended for general access.

>I mostly expect 3G and 4G networks to be broken internet anyway. I was
>more speaking in terms of land-line providers.

Apparently there are something like three times as many people with
mobile phones in the world, as with Internet access. And a lot of
network expansion is expected to be based on mobile connectivity as a
result.
--
Roland Perry