What's really needed is a routing slot market

Joel Jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Sun Feb 6 17:15:09 UTC 2011

On 2/6/11 8:00 AM, John Curran wrote:
> On Feb 5, 2011, at 9:40 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:
>
>> What's really needed is seperate the routing slot market from the
>> address allocation market.
>
> Bingo! In fact, having an efficient market for obtaining routing of a
> given prefix, combined with IPv6 vast identifier space, could actually
> satisfy the primary goals that we hold for a long-term scalable address
> architecture, and enable doing it in a highly distributed, automatable
> fashion:

So assuming this operates on a pollution model the victims of routing
table bloat are compensated by the routing table pollutors for the use
of the slots which they have to carry. so I take the marginal cost of
the slots that I need subtract the royalities I recieve from the other
participants and if I'm close to the mean number of slots per
participant then it nets out to zero.

 Routing table growth continues but with some illusion of fairness and
the cost of maintaining an elaborate system which no-one needs.

Yay?