"Leasing" of space via non-connectivity providers

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Sat Feb 5 18:27:34 UTC 2011

On Sat, Feb 05, 2011 at 10:17:29AM -0800, Bill Woodcock wrote:

> On Feb 5, 2011, at 11:22 AM, bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com wrote:
> > ARIN's community certinly is dominated by a particular type of network operator.
>
> It's dominated by the type of network operator who shows up and participates.
>
> Generally, I hear what you're saying and don't disagree, but this is one of those truisms that applies across the whole spectrum of Internet governance: constrained-resource allocation, protocol definition, route and capacity forecasting, carrier interconnect, what-have-you.  It's the people who sit back and say that someone else is doing it who don't get represented and don't get their way.  So while I absolutely recognize the phenomenon you're describing and wish it were otherwise, the solution is action, not complaint.
>
>                                 -Bill

	there is no complaint here bill.  there is simply the observation that
	if I justified an allocation 20 years ago, under the then current policy,
	that it is, at best, presumptious to presume the power of expropriation
	without taking into account the doctrine of eminent domain.  If the
	RIR's and there active members want to take my right to use space away -
	I expect to be compensated at fair market value.  I'm pretty sure that
	those arguments are going to be tested in the courts ...

--bill