quietly....

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Sat Feb 5 13:36:03 UTC 2011

In message <eqDe49GvPSTNFAnW at perry.co.uk>, Roland Perry writes:
> In article <F432E474-9725-4159-870A-D5432FE6EE4D at delong.com>, Owen
> DeLong <owen at delong.com> writes
>
> >What is important with IPv6 is to teach the generation of hammer-wielding
> >mechanics who have grown up rarely seeing a screw and never knowing
> >that there were wrenches that there are new tools available in IPv6.
> >That screws or nuts and bolts can usually be superior to nails. That screws,
> >nuts, and bolts work better if you install them with a screw driver or a wre
> nch.
> >That small brads lack structural integrity and that lag screws or bolts prov
> ide
> >a superior structural hold when installed properly. That attempting to hamme
> >every screw into a NAT-hole will destroy both the screw and the NAT-hole in
> >most cases.
>
> This is all very true, but doesn't qualify (for my small-enterprise
> target audience) as "not noticing the difference" when the upstream
> network swaps from IPv4 to IPv6.

It won't be a swap.  Even when the local ISP can only deliver IPv6
they will still be able to get IPv4.  There will be business which
just deliver IPv4 to IPv6 only connected customers whether they
need server support or client support or both.  The software to do
this is already written.

> I wonder what's the best way to get them up the necessary learning curve?

Turn on IPv6 native or tunnel.  Populate the IP6.ARPA space with
individual PTR records for the machines.  Add matching AAAA records.
The outbound side should just work.  Next you add AAAA records for
all the services you offer after testing them.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org