quietly....

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Sat Feb 5 08:26:38 UTC 2011

On 2/5/2011 1:37 AM, Owen DeLong wrote:
> Not sure how I feel about a more adaptive version. Sounds like it would be better
> than the current state, but, I vastly prefer "I pay, you route. If I want filtration, I'll
> tell you."

I generally agree with you. However, I also believe that every network
has a responsibility to assist in the overall well being of the Internet
as well as provide the best service they can to their customers. In
general, this means maintaining network stability and stopping abuse
when detected. The slowest and last resort of abuse handling is done by
an abuse and/or security department responsible for handling complaints.
Stopping things prior to a complaint (which sometimes don't come at all
and sometimes is a screaming roar) is even better.

http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/nanog/2003-01/msg00579.html
http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/nanog/2003-08/msg00284.html

Eh, you know all of them anyways, and it's taking forever to troll the
archives. :)

Filtering is an age old argument, though. I wish I could live without
it, personally.

Jack