Weekend Gedankenexperiment - The Kill Switch

Ken Chase ken at sizone.org
Sat Feb 5 04:03:26 UTC 2011

On Fri, Feb 04, 2011 at 09:34:09PM -0500, Jay Ashworth said:

  >Where *is* your Trailblazer?  Is it hooked up?  Have you tested it
  >lately?
  >
  >Do you have Taylor UUCP installed?  Configured?  Have peers?

No, but i have old drives full of uucp maps around. I'd start with those. And
I'd use the terrestrial phone system to call up/figure out who's still out
there (im friends/colleagues or know how to reach many of the people who ran
my old peers). Once it became clear it was a long outtage, the effort required
to get all this going again would be worth it. I have the tools around to make
it happen, if I needed to, and I know several others who also do. (Maybe time
to keep a copy of uu*.deb around though..)

Oh whoops, except I have a dry copper loop in my house for my dsl.

Dang nabbit. Stupid advancing technology. (During an internet outtage I wonder
if new orders for POTS phone service would be quashed in the interest of
'public safety'... :)

/kc
--
Ken Chase - ken at heavycomputing.ca skype:kenchase23 +1 416 897 6284 Toronto Canada