Using IPv6 with prefixes shorter than a /64 on a LAN

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Fri Feb 4 23:25:44 UTC 2011

On 2/4/2011 5:11 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:
> No, a /48 is equivalent to a single IP.
>
> You loose a little bit with small ISPs as their minimum is a /32
> and supports up to 64000 customers.  The bigger ISPs don't get to
> waste addresses space.  And if a small ISP is getting space from
> a big ISP it also needs to maintain good usage ratios.

Read the rest of what I said again. In the layout I used, a /32 is a
/32. a /28 is a /28. Yet when you look at what is being assigned in IPv6
and you look at what we assign in IPv4, it's pretty laughable.

It took years for me to get to a /16 of IPv4; where a /16 of IPv4 is
small change for many large providers. In IPv6, a /16 is well out of my
league and much larger than many large providers will ever need.