quietly....

R A Lichtensteiger rali+nanog at tifosi.com
Fri Feb 4 22:34:43 UTC 2011

david raistrick wrote:

>> Everyone doesn't suddenly get "owned" because there isn't a external
>> firewall.  Modern OS's default to secure.
>
> We clearly live and work in different worlds.   Not to mention that
> "we" are not the average consumers anymore.   We were, in the days
> before NAT (and SPI).

A quick mental review of my relatives indicates more than a few of
them with a PC jacked into a cable modem. The only firewall is the
one that comes with Windows.

Sure, pretty much every company and +some+ residential service has a
firewall fo some sort in place, but they aren't the automatic default
that you are assuming.  As you say, "live and work in different
worlds."

Reto
R A Lichtensteiger	rali at tifosi.com

     "A polar bear is just another way of expressing a rectangular bear"