quietly....

Roland Perry lists at internetpolicyagency.com
Fri Feb 4 21:57:12 UTC 2011

In article <F05D77A9631CAE4097F7B69095F1B06F039104 at EX02.drtel.lan>,
Brian Johnson <bjohnson at drtel.com> writes

>Some people have no perspective on what the Internet is and it's real
>power. I've met too many people who claim to be "in the know" on these
>topics that don't understand that NAT was designed for address
>preservation.

Especially as most (I guess) users of NATing CPEs only have one dynamic
IP address, of which they are generally oblivious.

I have a feeling that the first NAT box I had (maybe 12 years ago),
connected to the Internet by dial-up, where traditionally the user
inherits the IP address (singular) of the modem/gateway they dialled
into, even if they have multiple hosts on their premises.

>That was the only/primary/driving real reason for its development. The
>other "features" were side effects and are not intended to be solutions
>to production issues.

But NAT does have the useful (I think) side effect that I don't have to
renumber my network when I change upstream providers - whether that's
once every five years like I just did with my ADSL, or once every time
the new ADSL hiccups[1] now that I have a CPE with 3G failover.

[1] Seems to be about weekly, so far.
--
Roland Perry