My upstream ISP does not support IPv6

Peter Lothberg roll at Stupi.SE
Fri Feb 4 05:08:42 UTC 2011

> So it was far from simply adding v6 to our existing circuit(s) and another
> BGP session.  It has taken months.

You don't need a new BGP session to turn on IPv6, you just need to
enable IPv6 NLRI on your V4 session..

So, in theory your upstream can enable IPv6 on their side and then
wait until you are ready.. It helps to have a IPv6 address on the
link, but it does not need to carry the the BGP session over IPv6..

This is a feature that also simplifies your IBGP..

-P

(My mother has had IPv6 since 2007, and she lives in the boonies!)