quietly....

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Fri Feb 4 00:09:54 UTC 2011

In message <WHKMjz3PUzSNFAcx at perry.co.uk>, Roland Perry writes:
> In article <20110203220604.A8BAE9A5102 at drugs.dv.isc.org>, Mark Andrews
> <marka at isc.org> writes
>
> >> In any event, two of my applications are not IPv6 compatible, and would
> >> require significant upgrading. And will my ADSL provider and my 3G
> >> provider both switch to IPv6 at about the same time?
> >
> >You shouldn't have to care.  Properly written clients will connect
> >over whatever is available without significant delay and since you
> >are multi-homed
>
> I'd call it more alternate-homed.
>
> >you really do want your clients to be properly written.  If they are
> >not complain to your vendor as they are not meeting the RFC 1123
> >requirements.
>
> One client is no longer maintained (but I am very attached to it). The
> other is nailed inside a five-year-old VoIP box and I suspect they'll
> say "buy a new one".
>
> These are just my straw poll of what may be difficult for small
> enterprises in a change to IPv6.

It isn't "change to", its "add IPv6".

I expect to see IPv4 used for years inside homes and enterprises
where there is enough IPv4 addresses to meet the internal needs.
It's external communication which needs to switch to IPv6.  Internal
communication just comes along for the ride.

Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org