quietly....

Matthew Huff mhuff at ox.com
Thu Feb 3 20:46:11 UTC 2011

Well, since ssh is a straight up tcp socket protocol on a well know port with no gimmicks needed like FTP, yeah, I would say it isn't a hack. FTP over TLS/SSL is much worse. In some implementations you can do an non-encrypted control channel and an encrypted data channel, so that a SPI firewall can "hack" it through, but unfortunately a lot of servers and/or clients won't negotiate that correctly and only allow both type of channels to be encrypted which is not possible to pass through a SPI firewall.

There are two other sorta widely implemented secure file transfer protocols, SCP and WebDav over TLS/SSL. Either works fine through a SPI firewall, but the consensus for file transfer (at least over the pub net) within the financial services community appears to be converging to FTP over ssh.