quietly....

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Thu Feb 3 18:17:19 UTC 2011

On Thu, 03 Feb 2011 09:18:25 +1100, Mark Andrews said:

> Or you just filter them out in the laptop.   With the proper tools you just
> ignore and RA's containing 2002:.  Done that for years now.

You're welcome to stop by and fix 30,000+ systems here, most of which we do
*not* have administrative control over because they're personal laptops and the
like.  For most of these users, if it doesn't do the filtering correctly out of
the box when they pick it at Best Buy or Walmart or whatever, it isn't going to
get reconfigured. (We do provide a free "configure your box for our network" CD
that does all this stuff and installs a site-licensed AV and all that, but not
everybody actually uses it, and there's no really good way to mandate it - and
anyhow, that's a purely local fix for a problem that's more than local).

(We'll overlook the fun and games that start when you have a laptop that
travels between a site where 2002:: is verboten, and another where 2002:: is
the way it has to be done... Doesn't happen much.. *yet*.  Good luck explaining
*that* to Joe Sixpack)