"Leasing" of space via non-connectivity providers (was: Re: And so it ends... )

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Feb 3 16:54:42 UTC 2011

On Feb 3, 2011, at 11:32 AM, Jon Lewis wrote:

> My point being, the leasing of IP space to non-connectivity customers is already well established, whether it's technically permitted by the [ir]relevant RIRs.  I fully expect this to continue and spread. Eventually, holders of large legacy blocks will realize they can make good money acting as an LIR, leasing portions of their unused space to people who need it and can't get it, want it and don't qualify, etc.
>
> These start-up LIRs won't be bound by RIR policies, both because in some cases they'll be legacy space holders with no RSA with their region's RIR, and because they won't be worried about eligibility for future RIR allocations of v4 space...because there won't be any.

For the ARIN region, it would be nice to know how you'd like ARIN perform
in the presence of such activity ("leasing" IP addresses by ISP not providing
connectivity).  It's possible that such is perfectly reasonable and to simply
be ignored, it's also possible that such should be considered a fraudulent
transfer and the resources reclaimed.  At the end of the day, the policy is
set by this community, and clarity over ambiguity is very helpful.

Policy proposal process: https://www.arin.net/policy/pdp.html

Thanks!
/John

John Curran