And so it ends...

Benson Schliesser bensons at queuefull.net
Thu Feb 3 16:51:31 UTC 2011

On Feb 3, 2011, at 10:39 AM, John Curran wrote:

> On Feb 3, 2011, at 11:22 AM, Benson Schliesser wrote:
>> That's what the RIR might say.  But without legal authority (e.g. under contract, as a regulator, or through statutory authority) it is difficult or impossible to enforce.
>
> Transfers are permitted in the ARIN region per the community developed policies.

Understood.  My point is: legacy holders, unless they've signed the LRSA or equivalent, aren't required to submit to the ARIN process.

>> We can talk about how people "should" return addresses, or "should" justify transfers, etc, but we would only be begging.  Transfers will take place outside the RIR scope, because RIR transfer/market policy doesn't accommodate reality.
>
> Such transfers should be reported when noticed, so the resources can be reclaimed and reissued.

Is any RIR authorized, in a legal sense, to "reclaim" legacy address blocks that RIR didn't "issue"?  Without that legal authority, is any RIR prepared to accommodate the legal damages stemming from "reclamation"? (Does the RIR membership support such action, in the first place?)

>> Or, we can fix policy..?
>
> Absolutely... if the policy doesn't match your needs, please make a policy proposal.

That's a good suggestion, which I will follow-up on.  I hope the RIR community can change despite its own momentum.

Cheers,
-Benson