Significant Announcement (re: IPv4) 3 February - Watch it Live!

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Thu Feb 3 15:29:18 UTC 2011

On Feb 3, 2011, at 9:58 AM, Antonio Querubin wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Feb 2011, Randy Carpenter wrote:
>
>> It didn't work too bad.  Does anyone know why it was pretty much over at 9:30, when they said it would start? Did they start a half-hour early or something?
>
> I think that was just the ceremony for handing out the last /8s and it went very quickly.  The press conference starts at 10:00.

It definitely started at 9:30, and it was very short.

Boring actually.  But that's the way it should have been.  Not like this was a surprise.  Even the reporter from ZDNet asked "since we gave out the last 2 to APNIC last week, why is this day important?"  If ZDNet gets it, NANOG (actually *NOG) members should as well.

That said, I guess just like when any long time friend leaves us, we should have a ceremony to mark the passing.

--
TTFN,
patrick