quietly....

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Feb 3 06:28:23 UTC 2011

On Feb 2, 2011, at 8:45 PM, Jay Ashworth wrote:

> [...]
It's not transparent to:
	Application Developers
	Operating Systems
	Home Gateway Developers
	Consumer Electronics Developers
	Technical Support departments
	My users who are trying to talk to your users using applications that
		are designed to work in a NAT-free world.
	My technical support department that gets the "we can't reach them"
		calls from my users who can't reach your users.

It may not be your first trip to the rodeo, but, you do appear to have a rather
limited perspective on the far reaching detriments of NAT.

> As for incoming connections, it's transparent to them as well -- and which
> ones are valid targets for such connections *is a policy decision of
> mine*, not subject to external opinion.

Stateful inspection gives you all the same protection for that policy as NAT
without breaking the end-to-end model.

Nobody is trying to take away your policy rights.

> Could you clarify, in some detail, precisely how you get to TotC, Blake?

I think the list of afflicted groups above covers it pretty well.

Owen