quietly....

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Wed Feb 2 19:42:23 UTC 2011

On Wed, 02 Feb 2011 14:30:23 EST, John Payne said:
> On Feb 2, 2011, at 3:16 AM, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> > Example: if you give administrators the option of putting a router
> > address in a DHCP option, they will do so and some fraction of the time,
> > this will be the wrong address and things don't work. If you let routers
> > announce their presence, then it's virtually impossible that something
> > goes wrong because routers know who they are. A clear win. Of course it
> > does mean that people <gasp> have to learn something new when adopting
> > IPv6.

> Is anyone else reading this and the word "condescending" _not_ popping
> into their heads?

The only other charitable conclusion I can draw is "Somebody hasn't spent time
chasing down people with misconfigured laptops on the wireless who are squawking
RA's for 2002:"

There's a *big* operational difference between "all authorized and properly configured
routers know who they are" and "all nodes that think they're routers (deluded though
they may be) know who they are".