quietly....

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Wed Feb 2 15:52:46 UTC 2011

On 2 feb 2011, at 16:35, Greg Estabrooks wrote:

>> But all of this could easily have been avoided: why are we _discovering_ DNS addresses in the first place? Simply host them on well known addresses and you can hardcode

> So, when I take my laptop from Home to work, to the airport, to some random cyber cafe I should have to manually alter my DNS servers assuming I can find someone in the location who can tell me what they are ??

No, the point is that DNS resolvers in different places all use the same addresses. So at the cyber cafe 3003::3003 is the cyber cafe DNS but at the airport 3003::3003 is the airport DNS. (Or in both cases, if they don't run a DNS server, one operated by their ISP.)

I understand people use DHCP for lots of stuff today. But that's mainly because DHCP is there, not because it's the best possible way to get that particular job done.