quietly....

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Wed Feb 2 15:42:55 UTC 2011

On 2/2/2011 9:23 AM, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> Who ever puts NTP addresses in DHCP? That doesn't make any sense. I'd
> rather use a known NTP server that keeps correct time.

Most corporate networks do, as it is more critical for the workstations
to be in sync with the servers than to actually have the correct time.
Though ideally, the servers have their time synced in one form or another.

> But all of this could easily have been avoided: why are we
> _discovering_ DNS addresses in the first place? Simply host them on
> well known addresses and you can hardcode those addresses, similar
> to the 6to4 gateway address. But no, no rough consensus on something
> so simple.

Administrative control. Utilizing well known addresses and anycasting
DNS servers is considered a BAD thing. Anycasting in this way means you
always use the nearest DNS server, which may NOT be the correct DNS
server for your machine.

>> DHCP fails because you can't get a default router out of it.
>
> If you consider that wrong, I don't want to be right.

It is wrong in many situations. Case in point. As an ISP, RA does not
gain me anything but increases router load and bandwidth utilization as
it spits out to 3000+ interfaces periodically. Default Router in DHCPv6
reduces this load and traffic. Another case: What is the authentication
model on RAs? M$ is very good at authenticating their DHCP servers to
insure rogues don't interfere.

Jack