quietly....

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Feb 2 02:33:43 UTC 2011

On Feb 1, 2011, at 6:24 PM, Chris Adams wrote:

> Once upon a time, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> said:
>> On Feb 1, 2011, at 3:41 PM, Karl Auer wrote:
>>> Devil's advocate hat on: NAT (in its most common form) also permits
>>> internal addressing to be independent of external addressing.
>>>
>> Which is a bug, not a feature.
>
> That is an opinion (and not a unversally held opinion), not a fact.  I
> tend to agree with you, but you keep stating your opinion as fact.
> Telling people "I'm right, you're wrong" over and over again leads to
> them going away and ignoring IPv6.

Using this definition of bug from Wikipedia:

A software bug is the common term used to describe an error, flaw, mistake, failure, or fault in a computer program or system that produces an incorrect or unexpected result, or causes it to behave in unintended ways.

I argue that breaking the end-to-end model which is a documented fundamental tenant of the internet protocol and the internet addressing system is, by definition, within the definition above.

Q.E.D. it is, in fact, a bug, not merely my opinion. Others are welcome to
consider said bug to be a feature, but, it is, by definition, factually, a bug.

Owen