Using IPv6 with prefixes shorter than a /64 on a LAN

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Feb 2 01:52:26 UTC 2011

On Feb 1, 2011, at 3:25 PM, Jack Bates wrote:

> On 2/1/2011 5:14 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:
>> I guess we can agree to disagree about this. I haven't seen one yet.
>
> If my coffee maker did have an IP address, I expect it to get all it's updates from a central house store, not directly from the manufacturer over the net. I see no reason my appliances need global access; just access to their local controller.

Again, we can agree to disagree. I want GUA even for the things that don't need global access because I can
change my mind later. There's no advantage to building that decision into the address, rather than making
it in the filter policy of the routers and/or firewalls on the network.

> And yes, I am working on building my IPv6 coffee maker. :P

Someone has to, I suppose.

Owen