A top-down RPKI model a threat to human freedom? (was Re: Level 3's IRR Database)

Benson Schliesser bensons at queuefull.net
Tue Feb 1 22:05:42 UTC 2011

On Feb 1, 2011, at 3:43 PM, Arturo Servin wrote:

> 	Is it really a better alternative? Do we want to pay the cost of a fully distributed RPKI architecture?
>
> 	Or do we just abandon the idea of protecting the routing infrastructure?
>
> 	There is no free-lunch, we just need to select the price that we want to pay.

I agree there is no free-lunch.

Randy Bush addressed the problem, in a recent email, by contrasting his "security" personality against his mistrust of authority. (That's my summary, not his words.)  And I think that's exactly what I'm struggling with.  I want to secure the routing infrastructure, but I don't completely trust centralized regimes.  At their best, they're a target for exploitation - at their worst, they're authoritarian.

Randy was kind enough to point me toward http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-sidr-ltamgmt-00 which I'm in the process of reading.  Perhaps there is a way to balance between "fully distributed" and "centralized", e.g. by supporting multiple roots and different trust domains.

Cheers,
-Benson