quietly....

Dave Israel davei at otd.com
Tue Feb 1 20:44:40 UTC 2011

On 2/1/2011 3:32 PM, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> On 1 feb 2011, at 21:03, Dave Israel wrote:
>
>> People want to engineer their networks they way they want to.  Let them.  If their way is stupid, then they'll have the stupidly engineered network they wanted.
> The problem is that their stupidity impacts ME. If I want to talk to Microsoft from behind a<  1500 byte MTU link: too bad, not going to happen. They stupidly send packets with DF=1 but filter incoming packet too big messages.
>
> So I'm all in favor of the IETF blocking stupidity whenever possible.

I completely agree that, when interoperating, you have to follow the
rules, and I would (naively) hope that "customers cannot reach me
because of my configuration choice" is sufficient incentive to fix the
problem for the majority of network operators.  But what I am arguing
against was the stance some people take against DHCPv6, or prefix
lengths longer than /64, or other internal-to-my-network,
why-should-you-care choices I might make.  Telling me it is dumb is
fine; implementing software/hardware/protocols such that I can't do it
simply because you think it is dumb is a problem.

-Dave