quietly....

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Tue Feb 1 16:01:01 UTC 2011

On 2/1/2011 8:53 AM, Jared Mauch wrote:
> Honestly, if you can't get native wholesale IP, you are buying from the wrong carriers.

I agree. I did up the $5 million budget to light dwdm ring with 8x10GE
to Dallas where I could connect to any provider I wanted, but it was
unfortunately declined.

However, that's not the point. The point is that IPv6 routing paths
through the largest networks are not the same as IPv4 routing paths.
There are still many unoptimized routes and even a lack of peering.
General latency and bandwidth availability for IPv6 is a QOS nightmare
compared to IPv4.

The weirdest one I came across is that, at one point, I had the best
connectivity with limelight (for netflix streams) by sending packets out
L3, and having them return via a HE tunnel. It was, of course, well
below IPv4 standards.

Jack