Verizon acquiring Terremark

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 04:25:14 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 10:00 PM, Ernie Rubi <ernesto at cs.fiu.edu> wrote:
[snip]
> shareholders and dividends to pay out) engage in competition and cannot be
> 'neutral' in at least one definition of the word.
There is nothing wrong with a non-neutral facility, being a non-neutral
operator of a facility,   or  locating at a non-neutral facility.

The thing I wouldn't like is saying something is neutral,  and
creating circumstances
that will make it impossible for it to stay true.

> What does neutral really mean anyways?  Terremark has sold, is selling and

It is the same concept as network neutrality.
An example of a non-neutral IP network is  one where a competitor's website or
service is blocked by the network operator.

A facility is carrier neutral if it is operated by an independent organization.
An example of a non-neutral exchange is one that  only allows specific
tenants  to connect to other tenants;   other tenants besides the chosen ones
are forbidden from connecting to anyone besides a preferred tenant,
or  have to pay higher rates for each connection to another provider who
is not a 'preferred' tenant.

--
-JH