next-best-transport! down with ethernet!

Tei oscar.vives at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 11:01:34 UTC 2011

I am php/javascript programmer.

The web used to be request/reply. With the request small (but not
small enough), and the reply long.
But the time for permanent connections is comming.  Links from clients
to server that are permanent.  Or look like that in the application
layer.

On one sense, this is a optimization, no more pooling the server "do
you have something for me?" every n seconds.  But I imagine mostly
make things like caching and proxies pointless.

At some point, users will start getting unhappy with web pages replies
slower than 100 ms.   ATM my webpages takes longer to start Jquery
that all the server-client interactions. Most obvious optimization is
never reload the page, and run everything trough ajax calls.

I am not dumb,  I know turning webpages into applications make
webpages to fragile. But I am scared of javascripts. Javascript is
just too dawmn usefull now, browsers too broken (mostly IE), and
Javascript is like a superhero that fix all.   The web is going to
change in a few years, from a "request" "reply" interchange network,
to something more like a computer "bus".    I don't know how the
"wires" will react to this.

On 30 December 2011 10:58, Vitkovsky, Adam <avitkovsky at emea.att.com> wrote:
> Actually an a Cisco presentation on Nexus 7k I asked whether it's possible to transport the FCoE over let's say EoMPLS or VPLS and did not get a straight answer though that was half a year ago
> -but it would be really cool to connect hard-drives directly over continents
>

> adam

ℱin del ℳensaje.