Misconceptions, was: IPv6 RA vs DHCPv6 - The chosen one?

Jeff Kell jeff-kell at utc.edu
Fri Dec 30 02:00:01 UTC 2011

On 12/29/2011 8:12 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:
> Well I'd like to be able to plug in the cable router and the DSL
> router at home and have it all just work.

Well, that's not too far removed from the plugged-in laptop with the
wireless still active.  Toss-up which one wins default route.

What would you "like" it to do?  BGP feeds from both (likely not
happening)?  Defaults from both?  Or you just want active/passive failover?

The real-world case for host routing (IMHO) is a server with a public
interface, an administrative interface, and possibly a third path for
data backups (maybe four if it's VMware/VMotion too).  Unless the
non-public interfaces are flat subnets, you need some statics (today).
It can be a challenge to get SysAdmins in a co-operative mindset to
route that correctly (and repetitively if you have a server farm).

I would be walking the fence on the virtues of automatic route discovery
in that case versus the security of static routes/configurations.

But home use from a host perspective?

Jeff