Misconceptions, was: IPv6 RA vs DHCPv6 - The chosen one?

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Dec 30 01:24:59 UTC 2011

On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 12:12:43 +1100, Mark Andrews said:

> Well I'd like to be able to plug in the cable router and the DSL
> router at home and have it all just work.  Just because it is 0.2%
> today doesn't mean that it will be 0.2% in the future.  As home
> users get more and more dependent on the internet working having
> diverse, independent network connectivity will become more and more
> important.

Agreed.  But did you plug the cable router and the DSL router both
into your PC, or into yet another box that needs routing smarts and
then your PC just needs to know "talk to the smart box"?

(Hint - if the cable router and the DSL router are both plugged into
your PC, how do all the *other* devices in your house reach the internet? :)