Misconceptions, was: IPv6 RA vs DHCPv6 - The chosen one?

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Dec 30 00:26:42 UTC 2011

On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 07:30:16 +0900, Masataka Ohta said:
> IGP is the way for routers advertise their existence,
> though, in this simplest case, an incomplete proxy of
> relying on a default router works correctly.

Which is sufficient for 99.8% of hosts out there.

> Beyond that, if there are multiple routers, having a default
> router and relying

Yes yes we know, and we've understood this for a quarter century or so.  My
disagreement is that even though 99.8% of machines *don't* have multiple
routers, you seem to be pedantically insisting that some sort of IGP is
mandatory for *all* end hosts, even though only 0.2% or so will actually see
any benefit at all..