Misconceptions, was: IPv6 RA vs DHCPv6 - The chosen one?

Tony Li tony.li at tony.li
Thu Dec 29 20:17:35 UTC 2011

On Dec 29, 2011, at 2:27 AM, Vitkovsky, Adam wrote:

>> ... host systems should participate in IGP
>
>> We tried that.
>
>> It didn't scale well.
>
>> The Internet today is very different than the Internet in 1981.
>
> -did you? I thought CLNS with plethora of ip addresses compared to ipv4 was buried before it could be widely deployed, I was not around back than but would like to know why ES-IS did not scale well when integrated IS-IS is still used primarily for great scalability

???

CLNS carried NSAPs, not IP addresses.

ES-IS was the protocol between hosts and routers, very much akin to ARP.  IS-IS was the IGP used for CLNS.  Yes, it's the same one that we use today for IP.  Even in the ISO model, hosts did not participate in IS-IS.

There was no particular scalability problem with ES-IS, other than the mcast burden that it imposed on the link layer.  This is not radically different than the burden that ARP broadcasts require.  Limit your broadcast domains.

Tony