subnet prefix length > 64 breaks IPv6?

Alexandru Petrescu alexandru.petrescu at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 14:55:40 UTC 2011

Le 28/12/2011 16:45, sthaug at nethelp.no a écrit :
>> If every route is nicely split at the 64-bit boundary, then it
>> saves a step in matching the prefix.  Admittedly a very inexpensive
>> step.
>
> My point here is that IPv6 is still defined as "longest prefix
> match",

:-) yes agree, except that it's not known what "longest prefix match" is
precisely.  It is widely implemented in often closed source code, there
is books about it and lectures to first-year students.  I have heard it
named "crown jewels" of some companies.  High value and no specification
== speculation.

Alex