Misconceptions, was: IPv6 RA vs DHCPv6 - The chosen one?

Vitkovsky, Adam avitkovsky at emea.att.com
Thu Dec 29 11:06:15 UTC 2011

(*) If you think I'm going to run an IGP on some of my file servers when
"default route to the world out the public 1G interface, and 5 static routes
describing the private 10G network" is actually the *desired* semantic because
if anybody re-engineers the 10G net enough to make me change the routes, I have
*other* things to change as well, like iptables entries and /etc/exports and so
on.  I don't *want* an IGP changing that stuff around wiithout the liveware
taking a meeting to discuss deployment of the change.

Well the only reason why you still have a good night sleep with the primary path in flames and all those in stone carved static routes is that your server is connected via ether channel to a couple of boxes with dual RPs and redundant power supplies running VSS or vPC and routers running vrrp
All of this just because the end station just can't route around a failed link