IPTV and ASM

Glen Kent glen.kent at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 23:58:53 UTC 2011

SSM is also used since we *know* the IP addresses of the content
servers that are the sources - You dont need ASM. I dont think
maintaining RP infrastructure is trivial. Who wants to deal with
register packets, etc. Small routers punt all registers to CPU and
them forward them in SW.

In fact there was a draft which proposed using MPLS encapsulation in
networks that support MPLS to replace the existing RP mechanism.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-bhatia-pim-mpls-register-packets-00

>From the draft:

   Encapsulation and Decapsulation are expensive operations for routers
   and the latter, especially, as it entails a double lookup that many
   routers cannot do in hardware.  It is for this reason that several
   off the shelf chips do not support decapsulating the PIM Register
   packets.  Any router that cannot decapsulate the PIM Register packet
   in hardware must send all this traffic to CPU, where its
   decapsulated, and forwarded based on the multicast forwarding table.
   This increases the load on the CPU and also makes the router
   susceptible for DoS attacks.  Also, since Register packets are
   unicast, then can be easily spoofed and an attacker can use this to
   attack the router and thus the network.

   This document attempts to solve the above problems by doing away with
   the PIM Register packets.  It instead proposes using an MPLS tunnel
   to send all multicast data traffic till an SPT is formed.  This
   eliminates the complexity of decapsulating PIM register packets on
   the RP as it now only needs to pop off the MPLS labels before
   forwarding the native packet down the RPT.

Looks like the draft died some time back ..

Glen