Misconceptions, was: IPv6 RA vs DHCPv6 - The chosen one?

Brandon Butterworth brandon at rd.bbc.co.uk
Wed Dec 28 23:54:04 UTC 2011

 <facts deleted>

> Second, publishing specifications, implementing them and waiting for
> users to adopt them takes a very, very long time. For DHCPv6 support,
> the time from first publication (2003) until wide availability (2011)
> has been 8 years. Are we ready to live in a half-baked world for
> another half a decade or more just so we can add this feature

enterprise:

  "but you want us to do v6 today, why didn't you put it in
   when there was time then. Let us know when it's ready, ktnxbye"

> I would like to make the following suggestion: rather than having
> DHCPv6 impose a default gateway with all the issues that that
> creates, why not implement a router preference option. This way,
> DHCPv6 can be used to select the "correct" default gateway from
> the list of possible default gateways that announce their presence
> through RAs

sounds like the which half of the baby would you like option.

I don't have a dog in this fight but understand the dhcp only option
is so the dhcp guys manage * and don't have to talk to the router
guys other than to tell them to fix the router when it breaks.

brandon