IPTV and ASM

Jeff Tantsura jeff.tantsura at ericsson.com
Wed Dec 28 23:32:38 UTC 2011

Mike,

To my knowledge in most today's networks even if legacy equipment don't support IGMPv3 most likely 1st hop router does static translation and SSM upstream.
The reason not to migrate to SSM is usually - ASM is already there and works just fine :)
Cost to support RP infrastructure is usually the main non-technical factor to not to use ASM.
Would be interested to hear from the SPs on the list.

Regards,
Jeff