Notifying customers of upstream modifications

Andy Susag asusag at ifncom.net
Wed Dec 28 22:59:35 UTC 2011

Hi All,

Just a quick question for those of you running ISPs with BGP
downstreams.

If you add or remove an upstream provider to your network, do you
provide notification to your downstream customers? Likely, it would
cause a shift in their traffic. If they are peering with multiple ISPs
themselves, they may see a traffic flux.

I know for a fact that our upstreams do not notify us of events so we
tend to not send out these sort of notifications. Just wonder what
everyone else does or if anyone happens to know "best practice"

Thanks,

Andy