subnet prefix length > 64 breaks IPv6?

Glen Kent glen.kent at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 14:32:33 UTC 2011

Most vendors have a TCAM that by default does IPv6 routing for netmasks <=64.

They have a separate TCAM (which is usually limited in size) that does
routing for masks >64 and <=128.

TCAMs are expensive and increase the BOM cost of routers. Storing
routes with masks > 64 takes up twice the number of TCAM entries as
the routes with masks <= 64. Since IPv6 is *supposed* to work with /64
masks, most vendors (usually the not-so-expensive-routers) provide a
smaller TCAM for > /64 masks.

Glen