Misconceptions, was: IPv6 RA vs DHCPv6 - The chosen one?

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Wed Dec 28 12:55:40 UTC 2011

On 28 Dec 2011, at 13:26 , Ray Soucy wrote:

>> Granted that the notion of default router of IPv4 is no better
>> than that of IPv6.

> Please present a reasonable alternative.

Obviously reducing down the entire DFZ to a single default route is a bad case of premature optimization, which we all know is how so many engineering efforts get into trouble.

The right way to handle this would be for hosts to engage in both inter and intra domain routing with local routers, and then do their own aggregation if and when desired.

Iljitsch

PS.  :-)