IPv6 RA vs DHCPv6 - The chosen one?

Masataka Ohta mohta at necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp
Sun Dec 25 00:36:41 UTC 2011

Joel jaeggli wrote:

>> First of all, ND use is optional and, if ND is used, RA
>> must be used.
>>
>> It means that, if RA is not used, ND can't be used.
>
> Finding and maintaining the l2 address for a device on a subnet where RA
> is not used is a pretty common activity so I'm not sure how your would
> conclude that. 2461/4861/5942 certainly don't preclude that.

RFC6434 has contradictory statements:

   Neighbor Discovery SHOULD be supported.

and

   Hosts MUST support IPv6 Stateless Address Autoconfiguration as
   defined in [RFC4862].

and a reasonable interpretation is SLAAC MUST be supported if
ND is supported.

Or, we shouldn't expect IPv6 specifications reasonable,
which means reasonable operation is impossible.

						Masataka Ohta