Speed Test Results

Graham Beneke graham at apolix.co.za
Sat Dec 24 05:35:39 UTC 2011

On 23/12/2011 21:26, Michael Holstein wrote:
> They are excellent tools for generating user complaints.

I find that they are useful for filtering out some of the completely
bogus complaints. We encourage customers to include some test results
when they contact our NOC to avoid being ignored when they send an "its
slow" complaint.

That said - people get fixated on the numbers. 80% of the purchased
speed on non-CIR services is cause for a complaint.

Our biggest issue is people doing tests to destinations 300+ ms away
that only last for a few seconds and then complaining about poor
performance. As soon as you mention things like bandwidth delay product
the eyes glaze over. Heavy use of lossy WISP access network providers
doesn't help.

--
Graham Beneke