Speed Test Results

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Dec 23 19:33:08 UTC 2011

On Fri, 23 Dec 2011 12:16:38 MST, Joel Maslak said:

> However, they are susceptible to things like wireless network issues,
> TCP limitations (one stream vs. many streams), and misconfiguration of
> devices at the customer location.  And the speed test box isn't
> necessarily configured/speced correctly either.

I have seen some surreal results reported by some of the speed test sites
if you have a sufficiently fat pipe.  Near as I could tell, every single hop was
gigE or better all the way, the speedtest site then tried to apply a correction
for the bottleneck it knew about on its local gigE nterface, and basically decided
that the *rest* of the path must be near-infinite speed. ;)