IPv6 RA vs DHCPv6 - The chosen one?

Glen Kent glen.kent at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 12:48:06 UTC 2011

> In many environments RA is a catastrophic disaster. Some operators need
> to be able to do everything with RA turned off on routers, disabled on
> hosts and filtered on switches.

While in some environments, typically with small number of devices,
its indispensable. Small businesses may not want the complexity of
setting up a central server (for DHCP) - SLAAC works very well in such
environments.

Today, we can get NTP server information only with DHCP (DNS info is
supported by both DHCP and RAs). DHCP only works after RAs have been
processed. In some environments (mobile IPv6) delays in acquiring NTP
and other servers information is critical and waiting for DHCP to come
up may not be acceptable.

Glen