IPv6 RA vs DHCPv6 - The chosen one?

Robert Bonomi bonomi at mail.r-bonomi.com
Thu Dec 22 07:51:52 UTC 2011

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:

> OK, I'll name names.  If you have end users still running WinXP, getting
> them at least somewhat working under SLAAC/DHCPv4 is a lot less headache
> than trying to DHCPv6 them.
>
> Anybody managed to stamp out WinXP in their end user population yet?

Heh.  I haven't manage to stamp out WinXP in _my_ usage.

Microsoft's "Services for Unix" doesn't run on on anything but the obsecenely
high-priced top-end versions of their newer releases.  In addition to the
significantly increased hardware requirements to get the same "user app"
performance, this makes upgrading a 'show stopper'.