Well Lookie Here, Barracuda Networks tries to get me to fall into their trap again...

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Dec 21 17:54:35 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
> From: "John Peach" <john-nanog at johnpeach.com>

> On Wed, 21 Dec 2011 09:36:08 -0600
> "John Palmer \(NANOG Acct\)" <nanog2 at adns.net> wrote:
>
> > Well look what was in my in-box this morning! Looks like Barracuda
> > Networks is sending out spam again. Maybe word is getting around
> > about their less that value-full renewal policy. Could it be that
> > people are starting to resent being taken advantage of??
> >
> > See my response below their message. Seems like they don't remember
> > that I was a fish they already hooked and fleeced.
> >
> [rest of rant snipped]
>
> This has nothing to do with NANOG and is standard practice in the
> software industry anyway.

In fact, it's not.  If you miss your renewal payment for, frex, Safari books,
they actually slip your cycle date to when you renew -- since you don't *get*
the service between the expire date and the renew date, I concur with his
appraisal that you shouldn't be paying for it, either.

If in fact, the service *kept working* for a short time when an overlooked payment was missed, it would be a different story.

But, effectively, he's a new client, and should probably be treated that way.
Assuming the paid service is actually *the update service*.

I also disagree with your proposition that this is off-topic for NANOG,
really.

Cheers,
-- jra